Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ciao Bella

Watch out world, here I come! I wish I was the one saying that, but actually it's my sister who's doing the traveling. Lisa is departing for her first trip to Italy in less than two days! Upon her request, I have created a fashion update with a little italian flare in spirit of her travels. Considering that we have a strong italian heritage in our family, it's probably a good thing that we become educated on the topic. 

First of all, let me paint you a picture of where she is going
Venice
Tuscany
Rome

Now, to be prepared for this influx of culture, you should know the basics about Italian fashion and what to expect, so you don't end up looking like the rest of those silly American tourists. According to italian fashion associates, the hottest style trend in Italy is currently going vintage. The hunt is on for small boutiques that carry authentic accessories and dresses from the 30's, 40's and 50's. The best place to shop for this category of clothing is Milan, so Lisa, I'm asking you now, can you make a pit-stop there and pick me up a few items? :) You're probably wondering, how can I find such places when I can barely read an italian map? Have no fear, for I am here! (that was almost crossing the border from witty to flat out cheesy, but I can never turn down a  good rhyming opportunity)

Of course we all know that some of the world's most renowned  fashion designers originated in Italy, but here are a few more places from different cities that are recommended for great authentic shopping and tourism!

Milan - Centro*, Brera, Porta Genova, Porta Ticenese, Magenta: all towns and neighborhoods with tons of culture and great shopping 
L'Armadio di Laura is the top milanese store for italian vintage clothing...what a coincidence that my name is in it :)

Venice - Francis ModeThe Venetia Stadium: two stores that sell italian-quality leather, silk, and velvet products (bags, gloves, scarves). Also see the island of Murano located on the venetian lagoon for its famous glass items. 

Tuscany - best known for flea markets and outdoor shopping - check out the town of Arezzo's largest flea market, the Piazza Grande

Rome - Piazza di Spagna, The Spanish Steps - one of richest streets for shopping in Rome
Via del Corso - great tourist spot and a haven for retail therapy - a must see! 



Some real life inspiration from the famous blogger, The Sartorialist
All of these photos were taken of street walkers in Milan


Love the use of black and white in these


One from Sydney, Australia - Just for kicks! 
(Lisa went abroad to Sydney in college)

Credit to lifeinitaly.com, romeexplorer.com, The Sartorialist 

Hope this post inspires everyone to book a trip to Italy! I'm buying my plane ticket now :)
Xo

4 comments:

  1. GO SYDNEY!!!

    great pics and selection, my dream is to go there

    http://themashedup.blogspot.com/
    Lydz xX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, mine is as well. I hope to study abroad there in the next few years! Also wanted to thank you for being my first real follower :) thanks for all the support!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous too, I love Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! Thank you for commenting and following! Love your page

    ReplyDelete