Saturday, April 2, 2011

Vintage Fashion

I can't tell you what inspired me to start looking up vintage fashion, but I can tell you that I am so glad that I did. Looking back in time at history, especially fashion's history, is such a humbling experience. It was interesting too to see how some things have evolved, and how others haven't changed at all. These women encapsulate the true meanings of beauty and elegance and I loved them so much that I got a little "photo-happy". I'm warning you now, this post is going to have a lot of pictures in it, but I don't suppose that is a bad thing though, is it? 

Let's start out with remembering the leading ladies of the silver screen
Grace Kelly, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn

How beautiful are they? The thing I love most about these three women is how natural they look. That's one thing about modern fashion that I do not like; sometimes it's a little too rough around the edges for me. As Leonardo daVinci once said, "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication".

Next, I have two segments of photos: one from a miscellaneous collection of fashion photos from the 40's and 50's, and another devoted exclusively to Christian Dior's vintage album 
All of these photos came from life.com

Miscellaneous Collection




da Vinci sure was right, the only thing that comes to mind when I look at these photos is sophistication (with exception to the last quirky photo with the glasses, that one's just about having fun =] ). However, sometimes I get frustrated with certain women today, especially within the collegiate environment, because it's evident that many of them have lost their sense of class. I'm not trying to get all psycho 50's housewife on you, but I really do appreciate it when a girl looks polished and knows how to carry herself. Being sexy is one thing, but getting sloppy drunk at parties and wearing little to no clothes is another. It might seem cool now, but in the long-run, it will do you no justice. Ladies, all I am trying to say is save your dignity and remember what it means to be a woman. Just a little bit of my opinion; back to the beauty!

Vintage Christian Dior







Makes you appreciate beauty and femininity, right?
Lastly here are two modern picks that I would choose to add a little 50's flare in my life today

Prada Rectangular Cat-Eye Sunglasses

Charlotte Sparre Silk Scarf - Bloomingdales

Photo Credit: life.com, bloomingdales.com, sunglasseshut.com 

Hope you liked this walk down memory lane as much as I did! :) 

Xo

4 comments:

  1. your blog is charming!
    love these vintage styles. so classy!

    xo
    Erin

    pinkandpolos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much I really enjoy looking at your blog as well! Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete